INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Luka Garza scored 24 points, Joe Wieskamp made two key baskets late and No. 5 Iowa fended off Wisconsin 62-57 in the Big Ten Tournament quarterfinals. The third-seeded Hawkeyes rallied from a six-point halftime deficit behind Garza. Their all-time leading scorer dominated inside, making 10 of 15 field goals and 4 of 5 free throws. Iowa advanced to face third-ranked Illinois in Saturday’s semifinals. D’Mitrik Trice led Wisconsin with 19 points. The Badgers came into the tournament having lost five of six.
· Iowa swept the Badgers this season, winning all three meetings.
· Iowa has won eight of its last nine contests, dating back to Feb. 10.
· Iowa advances to the semifinals of the Big Ten Tournament for the first time since 2006.
· Luka Garza totaled 24 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, and a game-best 4 blocks tonight. Garza has scored 22 points or more an NCAA-best 18 times this season. Garza’s totals from tonight moved the All-American into eighth place in Big Ten scoring history surpassing five players tonight (PSU’s Lamar Stevens; PSU’s Talor Battle; Wisconsin’s Alando Tucker; Michigan’s Gary Grant; Michigan’s Louis Bullock).
· Iowa rejected a season-best 10 shots, the most by a Hawkeye team in a Big Ten Tournament game, besting nine versus Purdue on March 9, 2007.
· Iowa held Wisconsin to one field goal over the last 9:20 of the second half.