Huge parts of California are currently on fire. Thousands of acres (over 83,000) have burned from the Hill and Woolsey fires of Los Angeles and Ventura County, while in Northern California, the Camp Fire has become the third deadliest, and most destructive fire in California history. These disasters, fueled by climate change have killed at least 23 people. destroyed thousands of homes, displaced hundreds of thousands of residents, and wiped out the entire town of Paradise.
Here’s how you can help:
Donate Goods or Services
- Give an evacuee or a firefighter a free place to stay through Airbnb. Find out more here.
- Caring Choices in Butte County is currently looking for medical volunteers.
- Volunteer opportunities can be found on California Volunteers, including financial and other donations.
- GoFundMe has created pages to directly help those affected. Head here to help.
- Facebook has set up a Crisis Response page, which includes fundraising through GlobalGiving.
- Google is channeling donations through the Center for Disaster Philanthropy. Read more about it here.
- The Red Cross is providing shelter and emotional support for evacuees. Visit RedCross.org, or text REDCROSS to 90999 to give an automatic $10 donation.
- Give to the Ventura County Community Foundation‘s Hill Fire and Woolsey Fire Sudden and Urgent Needs Effort Fund.
- The United Way of Greater Los Angeles is partnering with United Way of Ventura County to collect donations to its Disaster Relief Fund. Donate online or text “UWVC to 41444.”
- Donate directly to Direct Relief, which helps provide resources to healthcare agencies and first responders in wildfire-affected areas across California. Tito’s Handmade Vodka is matching all donations, up to $15,000.
- The Salvation Army Ventura Corps is accepting donations for California wildfire relief.
- The California Fire Foundation is distributing emergency funds to fire victims, including prepaid credit cards to help victims buy food, clothing, and shelter. Donate to the SAVE program here.
- Because the fires are in Hollywood’s backyard, the Entertainment Industry Foundation is raising money through its Fire Relief Fund to help those affected.
- Donate directly to the Los Angeles Fire Department.
- The Firefighters Charitable Foundation accepts donations to support volunteer fire stations and help victims.
- Baby2Baby is distributing essential items to children affected by the fires. Help them supply basic baby needs by purchasing from their registry.
- The Humane Society of Ventura County is accepting animals evacuating from the Hill and Woolsey fires, and they’re looking for support. You can donate to the organization here or supply needed items through their Amazon Wish List here.
- Donate to the Los Angeles County Animal Care Foundation, which supports shelters’ relief efforts.