The South Nodaway Parent Teacher Organization and the Southern Nodaway County Community Foundation is hosting a homerun derby tomorrow beginning at 9:00am. Registration is $20.00 per batter and will be a fundraiser for the two groups. The event will take place at the Guilford Sports Complex.
The complete rules for the derby can be accessed on the GSNCCF Facebook page.
In general, the rules are:
- Seven- and eight-year-olds, anything that lands past 90 feet in the air is a home run. Nine- and 10-year-olds, the ball that makes it to the grass in the air is considered a home run. Eleven- and 12-year-olds and 13- and 14-year-olds, the ball must go past the 175-foot line in the air. Fifteen to 17-year-olds, 18 to 39-year-olds and the 40+ age groups, the ball that makes it over the regulation fence, 305 to 325 feet, in the air is a home run.
- Each batter will get 10 outs. Any swing that does not result in a home run will be considered an out.
- Batters do not have to swing at every pitch. Those who do not swing will not be called an out.
- The top three with the most home runs in the initial round will advance to the final round. The batter with the most home runs in the final round will win that age bracket.
- Final rounds will consist of 10 outs just like the initial round. The top three will bat in the same order as in the initial round. In the event of a tie in any round, each affected batter will get three outs. The batter with the most home runs wins; repeat if necessary until a winner is declared.
- Baseball bats will be provided, but participants are welcome to bring their own. No softball bats will be allowed.
- A pitching machine will be used for all age groups. Anyone 17 and under must wear a helmet.
- Judges will be in the field to declare whether a hit is a home run or not.